The government launch of the green paper on the future of the BBC last week is posing fundamental questions about the future role and funding of the BBC corporation. The Guardian sets out the key issues
Background papers on the topic include
BBC Trust charter documents and policies.
BBC annual reports and policy documents. Includes reports on the economic and creative value of the BBC and the role of public service broadcasters.
Some initial reaction from stakeholders included:
- BBC statement that it would bring a ‘much diminished less popular BBC’ that would be ‘bad for Britain.’
- BBC Trust response.
- BPI – said the BBC was ‘critical to the success of British music’
- Children’s Media Foundation-a ‘ fundamental impact on the well-being of children in the UK and their connection with the society and culture in which they live.’
- Voice of the Viewer and Listener
- The National Union of Journalists – refers to it as a threat to downsize the BBC and has launched the Love it or lose it campaign
Other campaigns include:
BECTU (entertainment union) Love it or lose it save the BBC petition.
Blogs covering the process.
- Campaign for media freedom.
- LSE Media policy – the Media Policy Project planner has a good collection of links to background documents on the Charter review.
- Guardian articles and discussion
- Conversation – UK academic discussion.
Some bodies which have produced useful background papers on the role of the BBC include:
- Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism which published a 2014 paper on the net impact on viewers if there were no BBC.It concluded that without a license fee investment in new UK content would be 25-50% lower and viewers would suffer a reduction in choice and content.
- Reuters Institute for the study of Journalism – is there still a place for public service television? (2013)
- Public service broadcasting in the UK a longer term View – Social Market Foundation (2008)
- Public Value and the BBC- Work Foundation (2007)
using subscription resources.
LSE Library media Subject guide has
Links to journal article databases